Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Behavior, Discipline, & Dress Code
SCHOOL DRESS CODE
PRINCIPAL HAS THE FINAL DECISION AND RIGHT TODETERMINE WHAT IS CONSIDERED APPROPRIATE ATTIRE
purpose of the dress code is to facilitate education, not to inhibit
any person’s taste in attire or appearance. Students should be
clean and neatly dressed in a manner that is decent, not hazardous to
the health or safety of students and does not disrupt or distract
from the educational program. Following, are more specific elements
of the Portola Middle School dress code:
1. Clothing must be appropriate to promote a positive school environment.
2. Clothing should be neat and clean.
3. Clothing or jewelry must not be in conflict with health and safety concerns.
4. Shoes must be enclosed or have a closed toe with a heel back or heel strap.
5. No see-through, mesh, ragged clothing, tube tops, tank top , shirts with spaghetti straps, leotards, pajamas or clothing showing bare midriff, undergarments (including bra straps) may be worn. Underwear may never show for any reason. Sleeveless shirts may be worn that extend to the edge of the shoulder/top of arm, not a tank top.
6. Dresses, skirts, or shorts must reach the fingertips when arms are held at sides and fingertips are extended downward without being adjusted or pulled down. Leggings are allowed under appropriate-length skirts, shorts or shirts.
7. Beanies (no logos) and hoods may only be worn when the temperature is 55 degrees or less, or raining. Beanies and hoods must be removed when students enter classrooms and offices.
8. No oversized clothing is permitted.
9. No gang related apparel.
10. No article of clothing or paraphernalia utilizing written or symbolic characterization that depicts profanity, put-downs, sex, violence, tobacco products, drugs, or alcohol, is permitted.
© Gaspar De Portola Middle School, 18720 Linnet Street
Tarzana, CA 91356
Phone: (818) 654-3300 - Fax: (818) 996-0292